Monday, June 6, 2011

On "Sharp Objects" by Gilliam Flynn

Has anyone read Gillian Flynn's SHARP OBJECTS from 2006?
It was her debut novel, and as far as contemporary horror stories goes, SHARP OBJECTS remains one darkly unsettling, disturbing novel that crawls under your skin and stays there for months.  5 years later, I still recall my reaction to its best and most chilling passages.  What sets SHARP OBJECTS apart from most novels, and really what keeps you from putting the book down, is Ms Flynn's sharp (for lack of a better word) stylize writing, and her talent to make vivid for us, a family, a small town, a handful of mean teenage girls that, though not supernatural monsters, are the stuff of nightmares.  And the pay off? Sick is a word that comes to mind often.


I decided to touch on SHARP OBJECTS because, shortly after finishing the book, I was so taken by it and the damage caused to its main character, that I was inspire to write a song; a sort of theme from the book (I get inspire to write songs to things quite often).  Going through some old files I came across the lyrics sheet, and re-reading it, it immediately took me back to the world within the book and it's horrors, and I decided to post it here so you can have a look.  No matter how many times it happens, it always amazes me when something gets such a strong hold of you that it inspire you in turn, to create other things.

If you've read the book, let me know what you think.


Sharp Objects


I still have that spot baby, awaiting your name/
Come to me and give me peace of mind/don’t you want your angel to be all right?/
Come to me and give me what I need/

I remember the first time/I remember the pain/I remember the release/
Oh yes/the release/
My body starts to hum, as the memories burn brightly in my mind/
And my skin/oh yes/my skin/it screams obscenities back at me/
And I ache/I ache hard/once/
Like a period typed at the end of a sentence/

“Babydoll” you call out in the wind/but little “whore” is all I hear/
I was “wicked” “nasty” “queasy” “harmful” and the words kept coming/
Your mouth was a trap full of pearly white teeth gnawing away hungrily/
Over miles and miles of skin/
Words ripple up and words ripple down/
Yet my body won’t hush, ’cause the cutting tool was never found/

I remember it well/I remember you denied me/I remember you told me I hurt your love/
Oh yes/your love/
You said that I hurt you when I ran away from your side/
What about me and the bleeding I got going inside?/
You were hurt/oh yes/you were hurt/
But I ached/hard/once/
Like a period typed at the end of a sentence/

“Babydoll” you call out in the wind/but little “whore” is all I hear/
I wanted to be “Inarticulate” “duplicious” “worrisome” “tragic” and the damage kept on going/
‘Cause your mouth was a trap full of pearly white teeth gnawing away hungrily/
Over miles and miles of my skin/
Words ripple up and words ripple down/
Yet my body won’t hush, ‘cause the cutting tool was never found/

I still have that clean spot baby, awaiting your name/
Come to me and give me peace/come to me and silence my skin/
Give me your mouth with its full set of pearly sharp objects~

No comments:

Post a Comment